When you make a water based vegan soup and your carnivore boyfriend ends up begging for more, you know you have done something right. This soup is a filling and warming and it definitely costs less than a trip to Ho Chi Minh.
Vegan Pho (For two)
2 l water
1.5 cubes vegetable stock cubes
2 gloves of garlic
a piece of sliced fresh ginger
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stalk
2 tbs tamari
4 portobello mushrooms (or smaller mushrooms, use more)
1 tsp coconut oil
a bunch of bok choy or Chinese cabbage
Mung bean sprouts
Brown rice noodles/Mung bean noodles
- Slice garlic and ginger. Chop onion into quarters.
- Use a pot to heat the water. Add vegetable cubes, tamari garlic, ginger, onion, cinnamon and star anise. Bring to boil and reduce the heat. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Chop mushrooms to thin slices. Stirfry in coconut oil until cooked through.
- Chop herbs.
- 3 minutes before serving, strain the broth. Add bok choy and let it simmer 3 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles al dente and place in bowls.
- To serve. Pour the broth on top of noodles (with bok choy). Add mushrooms on top of the bowls, as well as the herbs and sprouts.
If there is leftover broth, heat it day after and enjoy all over again.