Here we go – yet another protein ball recipe. I know I post them a lot but it’s such an easy yummy snack to take with anywhere! And you can also serve them as a dessert with a cheeseboard and other nibbles. Fellow liquorice lovers – this is for you!
Liquorice Lemon Bites
1/3 C buckwheat kernels
1/3 C pepitas
1/3 C almonds
1 tsp liquorice root powder
5 medjool dates
4 dried figs
1 tbs of lemon peel (organic)
1/2 scoop (20g) of (vanilla) protein powder
1-2 tbs water
- First blend figs and dates in food processor until forms a paste. Remove the paste from the food processor.
- Blend almonds pepitas and buckwheat in the food processor until small pieces. About 30 s.
- Add rest of the ingredients and blend (including date&fig paste and water).
- Start balling.
We are still enjoying the warm late summer nights here in Melbourne and no one hears me complaining. I mean, you can take the girl out of Finland but not Finland out of the girl. I will never get used to warm dark nights and warm dry winds that make you feel like you are being blow dried – I love it! One of the best things is that you need to eat a lot of cold things. Like ice cream. Or ice cold rosé. You didn’t hear this from me.
Since I was a kid I have been obsessed with peppermint ice cream. I don’t think I ever picked anything else when we visited an ice cream van. It is just most divine thing ever! And now after testing for years (with fresh mint, with coconut cream and/or spinach) I have finally found a perfect combo to make an easy and delicious instant peppermint soft serve. There is some weird synergy between spirulina and peppermint, it makes the peppermint taste even better and brings some depth to the flavour. Apparently, peppermint essential oil is really good for you digestion system too. I literally have this all the time. Even for breakfast.
1 & 1/2 banana (frozen)
1/4 avocado (frozen) or more banana
1 tsp super greens powder (or wheat grass or spirulina powder/tablets)
1 medjool date
1 tsp vanilla vegan protein powder (optional, I use Prana)
1/3 C coconut water/water
2 drops of peppermint essential oil
1. Blend banana, date and avocado with coconut water/water.
2. Add green powder and protein powder
3. Add essential oil.
4. Add more liquid or banana if you are not happy with the texture. Every blender and each frozen banana act different, I have noticed.
5. Top with chopped raw chocolate or cacao nibs.
Because I am basically a big kid, I have this for breakfast at least twice a week. In the mornings I often play a grown up and leave the medjool date out, add spinach and more protein powder/silken tofu/chia seeds. Also, I may not eat it from a wine class.