I have been down with a flu for past three days, which sucks. See below my go for a flu healing smoothie bowl.
Immunity Booster Smoothie bowl
1-2 tsp of fresh minced ginger
1/2-1 tsp of fresh minced turmeric
2/3 C frozen cauliflower
1/2 frozen banana
2/3 C steamed pumpkin (cooled)
1 C almond mylk
2 tsp baobab
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
3 drops of orange essential oil
1. Blend everything. Add essential oil at the end and blend more.
This is for you if you love Nutella, Ferrero Rocher, and Kinder Bueno. And coffee. Enjoy. Perfect way to start a slow weekend morning.
If you are not having an easter chocolate bender like we are at the moment, you can also use a tablespoon of cacao powder or spoonful of cacao nibs instead of melted chocolate. Or you can leave it out altogether, just hazelnuts, banana, and coffee are a divine combination.
Hazelnut Mocca Smoothie Bowl (for two)
3-4 frozen bananas
1/3 C almond mylk
double shot of espresso (or strong coffee)
1/3 C hazelnuts
1 tsp of vanilla beans (or extract)
20 g of dark chocolate (70% cacao)
- Roast hazelnuts fro 10-15 mins in 200 C. Let cool. (I roast these earlier and keep in a jar if I feel like this smoothie etc. They just taste richer after roasting). No oil needed.
- Make espresso and let it cool in the fridge.
- Blend 2/3 bananas and hazelnuts with almond mylk and coffee. Add remaining bananas and vanilla. Blend.
- Melt the chocolate on top of boiling water. use a spatula to pour the melted chocolate into a blender. Blend.
- Enjoy in a bowl topped with some crushed hazelnuts and more chocolate or berries.
//EDIT: I healthified the recipe for weekday mornings. I tried it today and it was still amazing. See below:
Healthified Hazelnut Mocca Smoothie Bowl (for one)
1.5 -2 frozen bananas
splash of almond mylk/any plant based milk
shot of espresso (or strong coffee)
1/4 C hazelnuts
1 heaped tbs of vanilla protein powder
See below a yummy recipe that I have healthified to be a perfect breakfast. Again there is a few fancier ingredients involved but if you like liquorice ice cream (like any Finnish kid) this one is for you!
Liquorice Smoothie Bowl
1.5-2 frozen bananas
1/3 C coconut water/water/almond mylk
1 tbs almond butter
1-2 dried figs
Handful of spinach (optional)
1-2 spirulina tablets (optional)
1 tbs of vegan vanilla protein powder
2 tsp of liquorice root powder
- Blend spinach with the liquid.
- Add bananas and chopped figs few at the time and keep blending.
- Add rest of the ingredients.
- Top with granola and berries (especially rasberries and blueberries go well).
TIP: If you need more protein top your bowl with seeds and nuts. This is, however, quite filling with almond butter and protein powder. Also, spirulina curves sweet cravings and is good to have with all the fructose in the bowl. However, if you prefer less fruit use avocado or zucchini instead of some banana.
We are still enjoying the warm late summer nights here in Melbourne and no one hears me complaining. I mean, you can take the girl out of Finland but not Finland out of the girl. I will never get used to warm dark nights and warm dry winds that make you feel like you are being blow dried – I love it! One of the best things is that you need to eat a lot of cold things. Like ice cream. Or ice cold rosé. You didn’t hear this from me.
Since I was a kid I have been obsessed with peppermint ice cream. I don’t think I ever picked anything else when we visited an ice cream van. It is just most divine thing ever! And now after testing for years (with fresh mint, with coconut cream and/or spinach) I have finally found a perfect combo to make an easy and delicious instant peppermint soft serve. There is some weird synergy between spirulina and peppermint, it makes the peppermint taste even better and brings some depth to the flavour. Apparently, peppermint essential oil is really good for you digestion system too. I literally have this all the time. Even for breakfast.
1 & 1/2 banana (frozen)
1/4 avocado (frozen) or more banana
1 tsp super greens powder (or wheat grass or spirulina powder/tablets)
1 medjool date
1 tsp vanilla vegan protein powder (optional, I use Prana)
1/3 C coconut water/water
2 drops of peppermint essential oil
1. Blend banana, date and avocado with coconut water/water.
2. Add green powder and protein powder
3. Add essential oil.
4. Add more liquid or banana if you are not happy with the texture. Every blender and each frozen banana act different, I have noticed.
5. Top with chopped raw chocolate or cacao nibs.
Because I am basically a big kid, I have this for breakfast at least twice a week. In the mornings I often play a grown up and leave the medjool date out, add spinach and more protein powder/silken tofu/chia seeds. Also, I may not eat it from a wine class.
I whipped up this smoothie bowl last Saturday for lunch and I loved it so much I had it for breakfast twice this week. Trust me, it’s not your typical mixed berry and banana smoothie which you grew old back in 2009. Cranberries together with the sweetness of baobab and creaminess of almonds make it such a treat!
Cranberry Baobab Bowl
1/2-1 C frozen cranberries
1 frozen banana
1 small frozen plum (or any other frozen fruit)
1 tbs almond butter
1/2 orange (optional)
2 tsp baobab powder
1 tbs vegan vanilla protein powder (optional)
1/3 C almond mylk
1/2 tsp natural vanilla
2 ice cubes
- Start blending with liquids and cranberries and the non-frozen ingredients.
- Add banana.
- Add ice cubes at the end and blend until smooth.
- Top with your favourite stuff. I used fig, caramelized buckwheat, and sea buckthorn powder.
This is a perfect lady boost for your day. Red plums are high in natural estrogen which is something that I currently have to focus on eating. I always add flaxseeds or silken tofu to my smoothie as well to increase my daily estrogen intake. Almonds are a great source of estrogen too. I know that many people are opposite to me and have to avoid, for example, soy products, but even though you would not suffer from any hormonal dysfunction this amount of estrogen does not harm you.
Additionally, cranberries are very good for women’s body if you have a tendency to suffer from UTI or kidney infections, as they clean your kidneys and bladder being highly acidic. Baobab improves collagen creation (oh hello there!) and boosts immune system and energy levels.
This is just one of those treats that make you feel amazing.