If you are not Finnish – you may not know that every second weekend of February is dedicated for a sledding hill and cream buns! It’s the best feeling to spend all day out in the snow and afterwards have a hot drink and yummy Selma bun. Traditional Finnish cream bun, semlas, are cardamom spiced soft buns filled with whipped cream and either almond paste or rasberry jam, yum but not really in line with my gluten and sugar-free reality, at least not this year.
Also as it’s nice and summery here and I’m nowhere near snow and slides I started my day with this low sugar, nutritious smoothie bowl and it was creamy and yummy and filling and perrrrrfect way to start a Sunday.
1 tbs cashews
1 tbs chia seeds
1/3 C gluten-free oats
1/2 frozen banana
1/2 C frozen zucchini
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cardamom
1 tbs vanilla protein powder
1/3 C oat mylk (or any plant-based mylk)
3 ice cubes + (1 cube of frozen coconut mylk or just ice)
- Place cashews, oats and chia seeds in a cup an fill with water until they are all covered. Let soak for an hour or overnight.
- Poor cashews, oats and chia mix (including the water) in a blender with banana, zucchini, protein, spices and oat mylk.
- When the smoothie is smooth add the ice/coconut mylk cubes and blend until smooth and thick.
- Enjoy with raspberry jam and chopped almonds (or brazil nuts) on top.
Make the jam before and store in a jar in fridge for two weeks.
2 C raspberries
1 tbs xylitol
3 tbs chia seed
3 tbs water
1 tbs vanilla extract
1. Bring all the ingredients boil in a small saucepan.
2. Mix until thickens.
3. Cool down and adjust the sweetness with more xylitol if desired.
4. Store in a air tight jar in the fridge.